Sporting activities lottery spikes criminal offense in Kaduna
  • From time immemorial, lottery continues to be going on in Nigeria. Until recently however, it was people who primarily engaged in it and the elderly and some specialized interest groups. Pool gaming had also been popular among the middle aged.

Unlike other types of lottery that have now been in the state in existence, many people treat its players with contempt and pool because it was viewed as a game that allegedly impoverished its players who hung on an everlasting hope of winning but without actually winning. Others viewed it a custom that was not difficult to begin but very hard to stop, as outright gambling.

He additionally noted that those managing the illegal sports lottery are foreigners, and the money they make is rather boosting their economy than that of Nigeria.

Nowadays however, lottery has been rebranded and made more appealing, especially targeting the youth and adolescents. Outstanding among the captivating attributes of now’s lottery isn't just that it is sports-oriented, which regularly fascinates the youths, but also due to its use of the internet and other hi-tech input signals that makes it more easy, accessible and quick. They could be played online or at designated offices. It was unlike before when lottery was only and analog played at designated offices/centers.

Some sports lottery that is prevalent played today are Naira bet, bet9ja booking codes, Cash wager, 360 bet, Quickly stake, Sure bet, Sahara bet, 1960 wager, Wager revolution, among others.

Investigation also indicated that sports betting has badly diverted the attention of such youths from forging ahead in life. Some have relegated their school, work, companies and domestic work/family obligations to the background and have given considerable focus, time, resources and energy to sports betting.

Ayodele Joseph, a footballer and teacher in Kakuri area of Kaduna South local government, says sports betting is quickly becoming a threat and that its habit is now worse than that of drugs.

I educate in a secondary school and I a footballer. Owing to my profession and livelihood, tons of youths and I mix. It's their wish to make easy and quick money devoid of hard work. They're no more paying attention for their studies or careers. Sports betting is slowly taking over their lives. Included in these are students, apprentices, applicants and workers," he said.

Joseph said however one looks at it and no matter the name it really is called, it is still gambling and it is a game of sheer luck.

A staff of Kaduna Polytechnic, Paul Johnson, said sports betting has led to increased crime rate in his place, KurminGwari, in Kaduna South, saying bags, telephone snatching and breaking into individuals’ dwellings have grown to be the order of the day.

"Bulk of the boys in my area are into betting and they do’t work. As a way to get the money, they snatch telephones and folks ’ totes, as well as break into individuals’ houses in broad day looking for what to steal and sell."

He said their work has been left by most of the boys who hitherto were conductors, bus drivers, bricklayers, and others for the bet offices. "Sports lottery is impoverishing the society because it is increasing joblessness among the already jobless youths."

He said though he is seeking entry to go back to school, his major preoccupation now is sports betting, including that he's supporting youths to engage in it because they could win like him.

"Last year I won 000 in Bet9ja, N707. Just N500 and I played to win all that money. Since then I have been winning other monies amounting to 000. The maximum sum I 've played with is 000, N1.

"Sports betting is my business for now; I can say that is what I now do for a living even though I 'm still searching for admission. Most people do ’t win as some of us do; while other times it's skills sometimes it really is luck. I advise everybody because you are able to become a winner like me to participate in it. For those youths who were said to have left school or their work for sports betting, I think they understand what they're benefiting in the gambling to have made such selection," he said.

When asked what he did or is doing with the money he continues to be winning, he said he is investing them, but didn't reveal how.

The women aren't left out. A female hair stylist that she wins she will equip her salon with modern hair and who preferred anonymity said she's into sports lottery also. She says so long as folks keep winning, and claimed to know many people that have won, she's going to keep until she wins gambling.

The proprietor Racy Hyginus, of Standard Global Academy Kakuri, wondered why gaming that was such should be legalized by the government, stressing that it is severely impacting negatively on schooling.

Students that are " no longer pay attention to their studies because of sports betting. Why should government legalize something such as this in the first place? Before it destroys the youths and the education system this should be scrapped immediately. This really is an extension of gambling and instead of the students to think in their schooling, what they truly are worried about is ways to get cash for gambling. It should be nicely censored if something would be permitted by the authorities like this and there should be an age limit he said.

Similarly, the Registrar of Yahaya Hamza Institute of Technology in Mando, Kaduna, Odulami Lukeman, said it should be fought because some pupils use their school fees and cash meant for sports betting for their instruction.

Lukeman asserted that so long as the betting is permitted to continue, students will never give their best to their instruction. He informed the youths to redirect their focus, saying schooling holds a much better guarantee of a certain future than the gaming which they borrow money and even steal to go and play.

housewife said initially, she believed that it was a reliable and harmless means of making money, but later learned it was pure gambling. She said youths are assembled in her place they talk about is betting and just how to get money to play.

Mrs Samuel said apart from the speed of larceny which has increased, some of the youth are using spiritual and diabolical means knowledgeable and enterprising youths, to be able to win, noting that if nothing is urgently done about it, the state may wind up not having concentrated.

When contacted, the Kaduna Zonal Coordinator of the National Lottery Commission, Baba Adamu, said lottery can boost the economy and youth empowerment if properly regulated and inculcated into the state’s economical plans.

Adamu enjoined the youths not let their involvement in sports lottery take over their lives or lead them into any sort of crime, including they should always report any injustice meted on them by the lottery operators and to control their activities.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, or you want to Ask a new Question, Please Login or Create a new Account by Clicking below

Login with Facebook

Popular Posts of the Week

Top Posters Weekly

Optimum Creative